An Italian passport is a legal document that proves the possession of a pre-existing status civitatis – namely, Italian citizenship – by its owner. This means that, in order to apply for an Italian passport, first of all you must be an Italian citizen recognized by the Italian Government. Please do not make an appointment before our office to discuss or file for your Italian citizenship because, for Arizona residents, that type of matter is handled and decided exclusively by the Citizenship Department of the General Consulate of Italy in Los Angeles, CA.
In addition to the possession of Italian citizenship, the other pre-requirement which any applicant must meet prior to making an appointment before our office is a current registration in the A.I.R.E. database, which basically means that the address on file with the Italian Consulate in Los Angeles must match the address of your current driver’s license as well as the address appearing on a recent utility bill (where by recent we intend within 90 days).
How can you find out if you are registered in the AIRE and if your registration is current? The easiest way to do this is by registering with the platform called “FAST IT“, and download from it your own “scheda consolare“ (WARNING: do not request to register anew in the AIRE if all you need at this time is to have access to your own consular file to verify your registration.) Alternatively, you may rely on the “scheda di registrazione AIRE” prepared by the Consulate at the time of your AIRE registration or change of address, or on the “certificato AIRE” issued by the local Comune in Italy. Either one of these alternatives will be accepted by our office as proof of current registration in the AIRE database.
On the day of your appointment, please be sure you bring all the items listed on one these 2 checklist (adults and minor applicants), whichever applies to you:
As a matter of courtesy, you can retrieve here the basic forms concerning the issuance or renewal of an Italian passport, namely:
- Domanda di passaporto (i.e., application for the issuance of an Italian passport for an adult) [PDF];
- Current application fee of $136.90 per applicant (regardless if adult or minor: see “articolo 27 A +B” of the attached table) [PDF];
- Domanda di passaporto per minorenni (i.e., application for the issue of an Italian passport for minors) [PDF]* (note: on this form, the signature of the biological parent who is NOT a EU citizen must be notarized);
- Atto di assenso/Consent Form [PDF];
- Autorizzazione alla rispedizione del passaporto [PDF] [which authorizes the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles to mail you back your new Italian passport by USPS priority mail only [see envelope here];
- Autorizzazione alla rispedizione per minorenni (same as above, but in this case for minors) [PDF];
- Disclaimer [PDF]
Once your fingerprints are successfully collected by the Italian Honorary Consulate in Phoenix, they are immediately transmitted to the Passport Office of the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles through highly-secured electronic channels. We highly recommend that within 30 days you submit to said Consulate your hard copy application with all the items listed above from 1 through 9 so that the Passport Department of the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles can match it with your data.
The address where to mail your complete Italian passport application is the following:
Consulate General of Italy
1900 Avenue of the Stars, Suite # 1250
Los Angeles, CA 90067-4404