The Italian passport is a legal document that proves the possession of a pre-existing legal status of the subject that carries said passport, i.e. the possession of Italian citizenship.
As such, all residents of Arizona who are interested in applying for an Italian passport yet are unsure about their status as Italian citizens must first verify and clarify their position directly with the Citizenship Office of the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles, which has exclusive authority on matters concerning Italian citizenship. In order to facilitate your understanding of Italian citizenship issues, we refer you to the web site of the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles specifically dedicated to it: https://conslosangeles.esteri.it/consolato_losangeles/en/i_servizi/per-i-cittadini/cittadinanza/
Alternatively, you may also consult an attorney admitted to the Italian bar who specializes on Italian citizenship matters.
Please note: this Consulate does not provide legal services such as consultations on Italian citizenship matters as that would be beyond the scope of services delegated through the Ministerial Decree no. 5113/223/BIS. Please do not schedule an appointment for your Italian passport with the intention of receiving clarifications on your Italian citizenship status because that is not what the passport appointment is for. This office reserves the right of cancelling your appointment after discerning that this is your intent.
Another pre-requirement, to be held before you make an appointment with this office for the issuance or renewal of an Italian passport, is that you are currently registered with the A.I.R.E. Please read the section of this web site specifically dedicated to the A.I.R.E. for any additional information.
If you meet both these requirements, we are happy to announce that, as of June 2019, it is possible to process your fingerprints directly before the Honorary Consulate in Phoenix, with no need to travel in person to go through the same process before the Passport Office of the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles.
When fingerprints are taken locally before the Italian Honorary Consulate in Phoenix, Arizona, the average processing time to obtain a new Italian passport is about 3 weeks. Alternatively, the is always the option to make an appointment for the issuance or renewal of an Italian passport directly before the Passport Office within the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles (in which case it is possible, but not guaranteed, that you will be able to obtain a new Italian passport the same day.)
Please read carefully all the requirements, procedures, and applicable fees (note: consular fees are updated and therefore change every 3 months) to obtain or renew your Italian passport published on the web site of the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles, which you can also find by clicking the following link: https://conslosangeles.esteri.it/consolato_losangeles/en/i_servizi/per-i-cittadini/passaporti
While the procedure and the forms are basically the same (and they can be found also on this web site, at the bottom of this section), please be informed that there are slightly different requirements as to the type of records that must be submitted depending on whether:
- the applicant is an adult;
- the applicant is an adult with minor children whose birth has been already registered in Italy;
- the applicant is an adult with minor children whose birth has not been registered yet in Italy;
- the applicant holds only Italian citizenship and is a legal permanent of the U.S.;
- the applicant holds dual Italian and U.S. citizenship due to naturalization as a U.S. citizen which occurred any time after August 16, 1992 but has not been brought to the attention of the Italian authorities.
As a matter of courtesy, you can retrieve here the basic forms concerning the issuance or renewal of an Italian passport, namely:
- Domanda di passaporto (which is the application for the issuance of an Italian passport) [PDF];
- Atto di assenso/Consent Form [PDF];
- Autorizzazione alla rispedizione del passaporto (which authorizes the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles to mail you back your new Italian passport.) [PDF]
At the appointment before this Honorary Consulate for the fingerprint processing, make sure to bring:
- Proof of residency in Arizona (AZ driver’s license or copy of a recent utility bill);
- Disclaimer signed and dated [PDF];
- Application form completed;
- Your old Italian passport (if applicable) and/or your current US passport;
- 2 passport-size pictures;
- Money order for the applicable consular fee (article 27 A+B) payable to the “Consulate General of Italy” (be sure to insert your full name and the reason “Italian passport application fee” on it);
- Atto di assenso/Consent Form (if applicable), and furthermore notarized by the foreign spouse if the foreign spouse will not be present at your appointment;
- Autorizzazione alla rispedizione del passaporto;
- 2 USPS Priority Express envelopes (blue color), one from you to the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles (see address below), one pre-paid, self-addressed for the return back to you.
Once your fingerprints are successfully collected by the Italian Honorary Consul in Phoenix, they are immediately transmitted to the Passport Office of the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles through highly-secured electronic channels. We highly recommend that within 30 days you submit to said Consulate your hard copy application with all the items listed above from 1 through 7 so that the Passport Office of the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles can match it with your fingerprints.
The address where to mail your complete Italian passport application is the following:
Consulate General of Italy
1900 Avenue of the Stars, Suite # 1250
Los Angeles, CA 90067